The Barton Hills Choir is led by Barton Hills Elementary School music teacher and choir director Gavin Tabone. The Choir is comprised of 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students from the school and accompanied by professional musicians, including guitarist Don “El Cento” Cento, bassist Jason “Mr. Boom Boom” Brint, and drummer Jake “Mr. Bubbles” Perlman.
Their repertoire spans golden oldies from the Beatles, Elvis, and The Beach Boys and numbers from Broadway musicals like “Annie” to songs from more current bands like Wilco, Muse, The Flaming Lips, and Belle and Sebastian. They performed at the Austin City Limits Music Festival in 2009 and 2011 and appeared at the Festival on both weekends in 2013. They were joined by special guest Stuart Murdoch of Belle and Sebastian for their shows at the 2014 ACL Festival as they performed his songs, and honored to share the stage with Belle and Sebastian for several songs during their second weekend show.
- Texas Monthly features BHC performance with Stuart Murdoch at ACL (October, 2014)
- Austin360 reviews BHC ACL performance (October, 2014)
- Austin American Statesman featured BHC in ACL Story (September, 2014)
- Texas Monthly features Barton Hills Choir (October, 2013)
- BHC ACL performance featured on YNN (October, 2013)
- Barton Hills Choir featured on CNN Headline News (December, 2012)
- ACL’s top 40 bands you should see before dark – Bruce Butler, examiner.com (September, 2009)